måndag 31 december 2012

2012/2013

2012 is almost over...
Last night I came back to Perth after 5 weeks of work/traveling.

It was so important for me to get away from the small university bubble I usually live in. To meet people with a completely different view of the world and to see their side of things as well as sharing mine has been amazing. It made me realise again how lucky I'm but also that life should be about fun and not taking yourself too seriously.

I meet this wizard who was probably 65 years old with white hair. He had been traveling non-stop for the last 25 years. Before that he had been very successful in setting up businesses in Ibiza. He was very down to earth and recommended a few places that I should travel to. Goa, the Masai people in Africa and South America. It almost got a bit emotional when I left and said good bye.  

He also taught me that I should listen to myself and do the things I wanted to do without listening too much to everyone else. He was also a lot into enjoying the moment and how people are working themselves to death, saving for their pension but they might be dead in a heart attack before that. I think goals are very important as well and I'm sure this guy is not JUST living in the moment. Interestingly I read in a book recently about two guys that had performed some serious research about heart attacks. 90% of people with heart attacks before 60 years of age is people with a type A personality. I think that if you live a stressful life you actively should try to flush the cortisol out of your body everyday. 

That is possible, a book has been written on the topic, it's called the relaxation response. It's about doing 20min of relaxation, 'meditation' or prayer everyday. I did quite a lot of that in Thailand, it was good for me. I also picked up drawing. It's like being in another dimension when you draw. Sometimes I sat for more then 2 hours completely focused on the thing I drew. 

Well I met a whole bunch of people from all over the globe which is always very interesting. Some alcoholics and they always have these crazy stories. Me and my good old wizard friend discussed this and we came to the conclusion that people should not talk too much about things they hadn't experienced themselves and we had a good laugh because that would mean that in the beginning of life you could only listen and not talk so it didn't make sense but there's something to it and we both sensed it. It's a shame I didn't take a picture of the man but picture Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first morning in India and no this is not something special this is what they look like.
You see the turban he is wearing, that's because he is a sikh. If I got things right there is a class system in India from the upper class with priests down to the untouchables which have nothing. Then you have the Sikh's which are outside of the system. They are the "morally right" people. I saw this straight away on his demeanour in how he stopped traffic and dominated his environment. Anyways if you ever have troubles in India such as you don't want to pay a taxi or you crash into someone, snatch one of these guys and they might be able to sort things out for you.
This is us in the mornings, loading the cars to go out to different schools to treat. We lived in a missionary as you can see. Amazing to see how the Fathers gave it all to help other people and to be of service. They didn't really have any amazing chest of gold to go home to and eat good food. Their lives had one mission and that was to help others. Touching.
This is how you sat, Andrew had to spread his legs for the driver to be able to shift gears. Personal space is something that doesn't exist in India.
 Me on the first day with Linkan Ray and Chandan Barman.
 Me and Josh in the slum
 These are the kids of people from Bangladesh. They come to India to break rocks. They sit in the sun and literally break rocks with a hammer. The smaller rocks makes good cement and the like. 
It looks like hard work but then again maybe it ain't too bad being with your family and friends hacking away at rocks in the sun. Maybe it's worse making lots of money but you're away from family and friends in an office for 90% of the day?
 Us at Baghdogra with our fabulous translators 
The school bus

Mount everest 5:30 AM
 Me, Ruhi and Oscar up in a monastery for monks. Played some hacke-sack with them. They won. 
 This is a random stop in the mountains with some Nepalese kids
Me and Josh looking good in front of the holy mother

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I arrived in Thailand...
 My secret beach

 Twice I did the 2 hour trekk though the jungle, it was warm

 Jungle monkey

 Down there is where we came from

The Muay Thai Champion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also read and finished 4 books.
Pulling your own strings
It's great to be humble but not on the cost of letting other people slap you around.
Sex at Dawn
Read on your own risk, this is a great book. But not if you don't want your reality on the human psyche chattered.
My Big TOE (Theory of everything)
Another mind bender. This is not a book for the closed minded. It may be the next big paradigm shift in thinking but in that case it will take a couple of years because he's a head of his time. Then again all great scientists and explorers were ahead of their time. Be open minded but skeptical. Open minded to not miss out on stuff but skeptical to not get sucked into things that will waste your time.
Zlatan
His autobiography. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm off to get some New Years Resolution scribbled down and get ready to tackle my last year of University - unreal. Let's have some fun in the last year.

Inga kommentarer: