fredag 23 april 2010

Inspiring

We have four units this semester (in Swedish termin).
Anatomy being the hardest one. I have heard a lot, but a fail rate of 35% is one of them. That means that 7 out of 20 fails this unit and has to do another year.
That's massive if it's true. OKAY I'm not going to be one of them.

Today our Dean of Chiropractic School lectured for us. It was so inspirational how he told us that to get MJ* good you should palpate 10 spines a day for the rest of your life.
* MichaelJordan

He screened Martin, it semed so simple. He spoke about how we are doing non-surgical operations with our hands on every patient (don't quote that word by word please).
HE said that you can pay the money, pass the units and get out of here in 5 years, get a job and probably get a few patients.
BUT if you want, you can dedicate yourself to this just like a sports star dedicate himself to his sport and play in the Olympics.
It is easy to play the piano, almost anyone can do it but if you want to play a concert you have to like it, dedicate yourself to it, put lots and lots of time into it and only then something of value will come out of it.

I have to confess that I've been kinda skeptic to this whole "chiropractic" thing.
It was so weird that one person with skills could actually, locate the problem and treat it and a person with no skill just giving a massage could not. When I'm reading it, it's not that weird actually. Especially not since I've learned a little bit of anatomy over here.

The skepticism starts to vanish the more I learn I guess. I do think its a good thing being a bit skeptic to it. I really start to like that our School is pro evidence based chiropractic. In the beginning I didn't like it. Probably since my dad use leaches and all kinds of magic but HEY I do think that there is a lot of wisdom and techniques out there that really works but too many people are trying to make money out of it without really knowing what they do. Then one bogus-Chiropractor can make it sour for everybody. To be a serious profession you got to be able to back it up with a bit of evidence, which should not even be that hard if it works HEY.
One of the things I want to implement when I start practicing is to explain to the patients what is wrong with them and what I'm doing so in that way I can teach every patient at the same time.

I still have a bit of skepticism in myself and I think that is a good thing since there has been and is probably going to be a bit of bogus within the profession. But I guess that goes with every profession, from dentists to car-mechanics. I do think that the big bulk of people are smart (I hope at least) and that they can smell out a un-honest car-mechanic from an honest one. One that actually enjoys repairing cars and therefore doesn't see it as a means to make money Of course it's important to make money but if you enjoy what you do that will not be priority number one and in that way the standard will be much higher.

HE also said while showing us, how you screen a patient for soft tissue tension or a misaligned vertebrae. You then correct it and when you screen the patient again that vertebrae should be corrected, otherwise you shouldn't be paid.
He said that the patient might be in more pain afterward. But that is just the nature of the beast.

He also said that it is possible to drive down to Rockingham and observe him in his clinic on Saturday mornings. In may (about 3 weeks) I'll try to get a few hours of observation time with him. I'm looking forward to this but before that, I want to have my anatomy down as well as 10spines a day.

So with having said that I'm going home to study Anatomy now but I'll still go for a surf early tomorrow morning :)

Have a good weekend, don't drink and drive and be happy - don't worry.

Peace

Inga kommentarer: